OVER THE NEXT DECADE UP TO 500,000 BUSINESSES PROVIDING 2 MILLION JOBS WILL HAVE TO BE TRANSFERRED EVERY YEAR ; AT LEAST 1/3 OF BUSINESS FAILURES ARE THE CONSEQUENCE OF BAD TRANSFERS
If you are interested to learn more about the importance of successful business transfers, these information are helpful:
- More jobs are lost due to failed business transfers, than new jobs are created in start-ups every year (CECOP study, p.20 available at http://www.cecop.coop/IMG/pdf/bussiness_transfers_to_employees_under_the_form_of_a_cooperative_in_europe_cecop-4.pdf ).
- Over the next decade up to 500,000 businesses providing 2 million jobs will have to be transferred every year and at least 1/3 of business failures are the consequence of bad transfers (EC SBA Review 2011, available at http://ec.europa.eu/growth/smes/business-friendly-environment/small-business-act ).
- Guidebooks on support to SME policy from structural funds, Nr. 3 Facilitating transfer of business , https://ec.europa.eu/growth/smes/business-friendly-environment/regional-policies_en
- Business take-overs can be a good entry mode for young entrepreneurs, instead starting their own business, http://www.dge.ubi.pt/msilva/Papers_MECE/Paper_11.pdf
- In Germany, between 2014 – 2018 about 135.000 Business Transfers will take place, affecting about 2 Mio. Jobs, https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/88607/1/77469534X.pdf
- The importance of instutionalising knowledge and keeping it in the company when the new generation takes over, Managing organizational memory with intergenerational knowledge transfer,
- DG Growth section on business transfers https://ec.europa.eu/growth/smes/promoting-entrepreneurship/advice-opportunities/transfer-business_en
- Entrepreneurship competence framework 2016, to develop entrpreneurial skills of successors https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/publication/eur-scientific-and-technical-research-reports/entrecomp-entrepreneurship-competence-framework